Yesterday I completed my project that I appropriately named "Tattoo Photo Shoot." Yea, I know, not very imaginative, but whatever. It took place at Lincoln Ink Tattoo shop in Lincoln, IL. I tried to stick to a theme of B&W with a black background and it turned out exactly as I imagined. I used four different lenses for the shoot:
1. Canon 50mm f/1.4
2. Canon 85mm f/1.8
3. Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
4. Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
Each lens had a different effect and was selected depending on the look I was trying to achieve. As for lighting, I tried to stick to a simple "One-Light" Approach. Most of the shots were done using an Alien Bees B800 with a White Beauty Dish. For a few shots, I needed to ad a 5-in-1 reflector to brighten up some areas. For one shot, the 5-in-1 was not enough so I had to incorporate an Alien Bees B400 with a 20% grid.
I shot tethered to my Macbook, so the photos were instantly viewable in Lightroom. The photo subjects seemed to really enjoy the ability to see what I was shooting as it happened, it seemed to relax them and gave them the confidence to "let go" a little bit. On import, I applied a Black and White preset I developed called simply "Jim's B&W Portrait - No Vignette" It is a variation of a high contrast B&W Lightroom preset that I developed and saved late last year. I applied the preset on import thinking that I just wanted to see a B&W version while shooting tethered, however, I was pleasantly surprised that I had to do almost no post-production tweaking once I got back home. I only needed to play with the exposure and add some vignette in a few shots and the results we amazing. That resulted in a very fast turnaround, final pics were up on the website the same night I shot them.
Overall, I was pleased with the outcome of the project. Everyone involved had a great time and now I'm left with some great photos. Till next time...